Monday, January 31, 2011

Quirks...Gotta Love 'em!

According to the Free Dictionary, a Quirk is :

A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy

Marriage is more than just a union of two people, two families, etc. Marriage is a union of two people and their quirks! And if you're married....you know about quirks. Not shutting out the lights when leaving a room, rolling the tube of toothpaste from the bottom-up, etc. Denise and I each have our wacky "things" that we do. And in a successful marriage, you learn to love the quirk, as you love your spouse!

I'll start out with my quirks. And just to set the record straight, quirks are just "standard operating procedure" until you get married. I can't seem to close a drawer. When I get out a fork in the kitchen, or a towel in the bathroom, I open the drawer or closet...and then "kinda" close it and move on. It drives Denise crazy! In fact, Steve Carrell also suffered from this condition in the movie "Date Night" with Tina Fey. She kept slamming into opened drawers and cabinet doors throughout the movie. Denise was doubled over with laughter when she saw that movie!!!

Have you ever met my best friend "Mr Ketchup"? He goes with me to the table practically every meal! I put ketchup on meat, fish, vegetables during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Denise used to roll her eyes when I covered potatoes, chicken, eggs and everything else in the great red condiment! And don't get her started on locking the doors! When we go out, I always make sure the doors are locked....by grabbing the door handle and pulling the door a few times to see if it's locked. OK..well maybe it's not just a few times. :) And then there's the "wet head" I talked about in a previous post. I like to get a shower before bed, but I never dry my hair. Denise used to scream when she was hugged and kissed by Mr Wet Head!

Denise has her quirks, too. She has to have a bottle of water by her side of the bed. But, she won't carry the water to the bedroom. She likes me to bring it to the night table. She'll actually walk by the closet where the water is stored...and keep going. And she has to have her 3 pillows with her when she goes to bed. The combination has to be 1) 1 long firm pillow
2) 1 long soft pillow
3) 1 short soft pillow

I'm sure that are more quirks to list. Bottom line, they don't bother us. Those "goofy" little things that we do make us unique! I always smile when I forget to bring Denise her water bottle and go get it after all the lights are out, and she
still giggles when I try to kiss her and get my wet hair in her face.

Quirks...love 'em, and marriage will be much more fun!!!