Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No More Dating Other People...

Ed. note; OK...this entry is going to be a little embarrassing. It's about dating another woman named Lori. The problem was........that I met Lori while on a date with Denise.


I was all excited about my date with Lori. We met by the women's restroom during a Hooters/Tommy Conwell + The Young Rumblers concert. Actually, I was at the show with Denise. We were leaving the concert and she had to stop and "powder her nose". I waited outside the bathroom and that's when Lori and her friends approached. One of the women recognized me from TV, and that's all I needed to start the, "We should get together some time" routine. I also needed Denise to use as much time as possible in the ladies room. It would've have been awkward if Denise exited the restroom right when Lori was giving me her number. (I know.....I was a dog...but you knew that from the first blog entry). Lori gave me her number and moved on....Denise came out...all with the precision of an episode of Three's Company.

I set up the date with Lori the next day, and it sounded like she was eager to go out with me! BR (before radio) not many women were eager to go on dates. Now, I can pick up women when standing by bathrooms. I love this country!!!!

The first date with Lori was going to be a simple mission:

1) Show up on time driving a clean car
2) Wear a nice sweater
3) Slop on extra Pierre Cardin cologne
4) Open the door for her at all times
5) Keep dinner costs under $30
6) Duh???

I showed up at her apartment, and her dad was there watching TV. I guess he wanted to meet the schlep taking his daughter out for a date. I'll never forget what happened in her living room. Lori introduced me to her dad. As he got up to shake my hand a commercial appeared on the TV. Not just any commercial, but the morning show spot that I shot about a month earlier in Nashville, TN. Of course in the commercial, I'm wearing TONS of make up, a stylist had worked on my hair and they gave a clothes to wear. Lori's dad looked at the TV...looked back at me....glanced at the TV again...and just smiled. It was if the radio gods looked down to help me score. It was a once in a lifetime event; pick up girl at apartment, meet girl's dad, appear on TV while dad was standing in the room.
( I am not making this stuff up!!!!)

The date with Lori went well, although as a conversationalist, she was no Denise. We both established that we weren't dating other people...blah..blah..blah...under $30. Out of respect for her (wherever she is) I'll stop with the details. I will say that date #2 was in the freakin' hat...or so I thought.

Two days later I was on the phone with Denise when she asked me a very interesting question,"How was the date with Lori?". I couldn't even respond. First of all, Denise and I weren't dating exclusively...so it's not like I was cheating. But I could tell by the sound of her voice that it hurt her a little. I told Denise the date went....uh..well, and wondered how she knew. Well, it turns out that Lori called her friend Angela to tell her about the date. Angela ( stay with me for this) was dating a guy named Mark. Mark went to high school with Denise's brother. Denise's brother told her that I was dating Lori. Philadelphia has a metropolitan population of over 6 million people. How the heck did I date a women with a direct pipeline to Denise?

I realized two things; I hurt Denise's feelings by going out with Lori, and Lori would never go out with me again because I had lied about "not dating anybody".
I decided to make a bold move.....to just date Denise. You hear that Philadelphia? I was starting to fall in love with Denise, and no other women were going to screw that up. Well, at least I'll be faithful this week!