Monday, July 19, 2010

Hi Katie...I can't see you tomorrow tonight!

Life was good!! Denise and I were dating just each other. Actually, that doesn't sound right. We weren't dating JUST each other....we were exclusive!! Sam and Denise, Denise and Sam. But there was one problem with exclusivity. What do you do about the "future prospects"? You know...the people you met and they weren't available/interested at that time. Oh well....here comes Katie!

Denise and I were going out 3x-4x per week. Life was good! In fact, Denise ended up getting a job at the radio station. The promotions director moved on to another station. Denise was a natural for the gig. She already met the other jocks and the program director...and they were all enamored with her. So....now Denise and I were working together during the day,and dating at night. At work, we played down our relationship. Denise didn't want to muddy the waters of the office politics. (smart move!)

Ready for the problem?


My buddy and I had lunch on most days at a restaurant frequented by radio people. That eatery happened to be located in the lobby of our building. It was just a short elevator ride...to Katie. She was the smokin' hot waitress at the restaurant. Katie was an exact double of Sandra Bullock. I used to hit on her every chance available. One day she must have lost her mind....and asked ME out! I said "YES" without thinking about...er....uh....what's her name (just joking!)

I went behind Denise's back and dated Katie that week. After our romantic dinner we went back to Katie's apartment so she could smoke a joint. Seriously. See...women need drugs to date me! It was a great evening, and we made plans that night to get together Saturday for some more....(edited for family rating). That worked into the schedule, because Denise and I only had plans for Friday night!!!!

The "Denise and Sam" date actually ended up at a luxury hotel in downtown Philadelphia. We had so much fun, that we decided to keep the date going by spending ALL weekend together. What a great idea! But what would I do about Katie???

It had to be a "Defcon 1" secret mission to contact Katie while with Denise. There was only one thing to do.....wait for Denise to:

a) leave the hotel for soft pretzels
b) leave the hotel for a newspaper
c) take a really long, hot shower

Denise chose "c", leaving me enough time to make the call to Katie and cancel our date. Whew...dodged a bullet with that phone call! At least I thought I was one smooth guy.....

That following Monday, Denise and I had lunch at the restaurant in the radio station building. Guess who was our waitress? If you said,"Katie"....you win! Katie approached our table and asked,"What happened to our date Saturday night?". Denise lost her usual smile and stared at me. I was speechless...that was a rare event.
Denise and I finished our lunch in silence. She later told me that she wanted to dump her plate on my head....but our boss was at the next table. Needless say...Denise broke up with me that day.